Legal Help For The Adoption Process
Adopting a child is a big step. The adoption process can be legally complex and frustrating, especially if it is your first time.
The family law attorneys of Evenson Decker, P.A., are here to guide you and clear any obstacles along the way. We strive to make your Minnesota adoption as smooth as possible, so that you and the new addition to your family can celebrate the happy ending.
Experienced Attorneys Guiding The Way
We represent prospective parents in all types of adoptions, including:
- Stepparent adoption – Formally adopting a partner’s child to make it official and to establish parental rights, inheritance rights and parental responsibility
- Agency adoption – Assisting with the technical and financial arrangements for adoption placement through a licensed agency
- Private adoption – Working directly with the birth mother to facilitate adoption and make sure all the legalities are addressed
- Kinship adoption – Helping grandparents or other relatives become the legally recognized parents of a child who would otherwise go into foster care
- Surrogacy – Helping parents grow their families through a gestational surrogacy arrangement with a surrogate mother.
In an agency adoption, independent adoption or surrogacy, we can review the terms and the paperwork or serve as the go-between to negotiate the legal agreements. It is critical that all parties be “on the same page” long before the actual transfer of the child. We can pursue a second adoption, if necessary, to establish parental standing of a spouse who is not biologically related to the child.
Stepparent and inter-family adoptions may require termination of the parental rights of the biological parent(s). Our lawyers provide respectful guidance and, if necessary, courtroom advocacy for these delicate proceedings.
Attorneys JoAnn Evenson and Aaron Decker are well-versed in all aspects of Minnesota family law, including adoption and related issues of care and custody of children.
Close Support For Your Adoption
Adoption is an emotional journey. We keep you informed and involved at every stage to reduce your stress and help you prepare the way for the new child in your life. For strong and experienced adoption representation, call us at 320-301-1025 or contact us online to arrange a consultation.